A big boy room reveal!

airplaneWell…it’s done! And I am in LURVE.

It’s been raining for two days straight, so I was rushing like mad to get pics while it was somewhat bright out earlier today. It’s not all perfect, but who cares. I am in love.  :) (Because I am a special kind of crazy, I may retake some of these when we get a sunny day this week.)

In my next post I will give you the low down on all the little details, but for now, I'll just share the hundreds few pictures I took. ;)

I present to you…a big boy room in primary colors! (Never say you will never use primary colors cause then you’ll use them and be in love with them and eat. your. words!):

For the entry into the room, I made a sign using vinyl from my advertiser, Single Stone Studios. I actually have one more piece on the way to finish it off but I just love how it welcomes us into the room:

The built ins look beautiful and totally custom with the addition of some molding and wallpaper to the sides and painting the backs a beautiful gray blue:

window

It’s impossible to get a good picture of that wall – on bright days the sun blinds the shot and on dark days it just looks DARK.  ;)

Because we didn’t put overhead lighting in this room when we built (uh…DUH. Why?!), the addition of the sconces helps brighten up the space:

built ins

I filled the wall space above the bed and on the other long wall with molding and airplane art and it absolutely transformed the room!:

The board and batten (a little faux but a whole lotta pretty!) was the perfect finishing touch to the walls:door

The DIY headboard works perfectly with the bedding!:

077

Obviously, the theme is airplanes. So they took flight in a few spots around the room:

The nightstand I stole from the guest bedroom. Free! Until I redo the guest bedroom and need a new one in there. Whatever. Details. It was a garage sale find from years ago:

This cutie lamp is just one of the many little details I adore about this room:

I know, I kept the bedding as a little surprise. :) It was a total splurge:

room

The shams, comforter and blanket were all from Pottery Barn Kids. NOT cheap. But I’ve heard they hold up incredibly well so I felt like it was worth it. I (kind of. not really. like to say I) evened out the cost of the PBK bedding with the airplane sheets from Kmart. 

They were one of the very first purchases for the space and were the inspiration for the whole room!

I had a friend make some pillows to match the headboard:

And the bed skirt was a bit of a DIY project as well, but I’ll tell you more about that later this week:

Did you notice the sconces? ;) Squeal!!

I kept wavering between the original oil-rubbed bronze look and the brushed nickel, and then one of you ahhhmazing Squee-zays suggested RED:

And OH dear LORDY I love it!!:

You are ALL amazing by the way. ;) I was going back and forth between the two metal options and when red was mentioned I was HOOKED.

The airplane sheets are navy, red and yellow with just a bit of light blue. So those colors were used on the accessories throughout the built ins:

   

The shelves hold more of the little details I love:lampThe accessories mingle with some of our favorite pictures of our sweet Bub – most of them I took:

Pay no attention to the price tag on the bottom of that airplane! Gah! I was racing to beat the rain clouds peeps.  :)

I tried not to overdo it with the airplanes but sheesh, it was hard!:

Who knew airplanes could be so CUTE?:

The Bub in his three-year-old decorating brilliance wanted to add a  pop of yellow to Squishy II’s crib with a SpongeBob doodad we found at the pet store:

Squishy II totally digs him:

SquishyI will share all of the details (costs, where I bought, how I transformed) in the next post. For now, I. am. pooped.

Do I miss the apple green nursery? I have to say, I wasn’t sad at all to paint over all the soothing colors that were his baby room:

apple green nursery

Because I waited till he was ready, I was ready and I had a clear idea in my head of what I wanted to do. I loved his nursery more than I can even express!

But now my boy is getting bigger and so is his room. Sniff. ;) And now we love it just as much as the nursery, but in a different, big boy way:

Bub's room

I hope you enjoyed the process! Thanks for coming along for the ride. ;)

 

P.S.  I’m listing this room on Rate My Space for the first time in years…sometimes people get a little extra opinionated over there. I’m sceered. Yikes!

P.P.S. The Before and After Party is rescheduled to next Monday! Sorry I didn’t mention that before!

 
coompax-digital magazine